Of Mince Pies and Other Stories



The last few months have been rather difficult (and hectic) and, although I've been baking a lot, I haven't been able to blog as much as I would have liked to. But I'm hoping to start again fairly soon.


I was only a very small child when my father bought me as a Christmas gift a Ladybird edition of The Elves and the Shoemaker fairy tale by the Grimms brothers.
There was once a shoemaker, who worked very hard and was very honest: but still he could not earn enough to live upon; and at last all he had in the world was gone, save just leather enough to make one pair of shoes.
But more than the moral of the story, it was the idea of the unpredictability of the appearance and conduct of the little elves that I found exciting.
About midnight in they came, dancing and skipping, hopped round the room, and then went to sit down to their work as usual; but when they saw the clothes lying for them, they laughed and chuckled, and seemed mightily delighted.
     Then they dressed themselves in the twinkling of an eye, and danced and capered and sprang about, as merry as could be; till at last they danced out at the door, and away over the green.


Wishing everyone an interesting and creative New Year!


Comments

Post a Comment